“Multigenerational, sweeping across three continents…Inventive and absorbing alternate history.” -Nancy Kress
The date is 1854. The place is the Australian goldfields in the British colony of Victoria-the richest prize on earth. The story begins with a stockade. The flag of independence is unfurled. Men driven beyond endurance take arms against British redcoats. At their forefront are two hundred Colt-wielding Americans, the California Rangers, led by the charismatic and idealistic Captain James McGill.
The stockade falls. The Rangers are scattered. But from the ashes will rise a new revolution-a revolution powered by the sun. And this one will not fail.
In the 19th century, just how close did we come to a world run on solar power? The Five Star Republic is history with a twist, the story of a world that might easily have been-the future you’ll wish we’d had.
“Original and enthralling…an alternate history imbued with hope and promise.” -Pamela Sargent
“Harry Turtledove fans are in for a treat…” -Publishers Weekly (US).
- The Five Star Republic
- Book 1: City of the Sun series
- Authors: Janeen Webb and Andrew Enstice
- Australian English
- ISBN: 978-1-922556-14-1
- RRP: UK £20.99 AU$29.95 US$21.99 EU €19.99
- Publisher: IFWG Publishing Australia
- Mature readers/Alternate History
- 512 pages – paperback English
- Binding: Perfect bound
- Dimensions: 229mm x 152mm
- eBook Formats: preorders: Kindle (except North America–coming soon); Nook Book (world-wide); other venues (Amazon, Kobo, iBook) available soon.
- Key Words: alternate history, Australian history, nineteenth century, solar technology
- Publication Date: 1 September 2021 (26 October 2021 for North America print). Preorders can be made through various online print stores, including The Book Depository, Amazon US.
- Distributor: (Australia/NZ) Novella Distributors; (North America) SPU/IPG; (UK/Europe) Gazelle; (elsewhere) Neilsen/Ingram